3/18/20

The Simplest Alternative to Going to Church

"These are the times that try men's souls."

I'm sure you've heard that quotation before, but I bet you don't know who wrote it. (Don't Google it now; I'll tell you later.)

I'll give you a hint: It was written just before Christmas in December of 1776.

The reason men's souls were being tried back then isn't the same as the reason that is trying many people's souls today, but much soul-trying is happening and not in our country alone.

One of the consequences of COVID-19, which is the ultimate source of the soul-trying, is that we can no longer meet in our churches for worship services.


Church leaders are even now trying to figure out what the best methods are to serve their congregations during this soul-trying time. I have no doubt they will devise many good and useful alternatives.

Maybe they'll even find some ideas that will continue to serve well after circumstances return to normal somewhere down the road.

I would like to suggest here what I think is the simplest alternative to going to church - one that I hope isn't being overlooked by church leaders.

The idea: Read your Bible.

But...but...

Hold your buts right there. I'm going to cover/counter most, if not all of them next.

I Don't Own a Bible


First of all, why not?


And start reading.

I Don't Know Where to Start


Whenever I have that problem, I take Fruelein Maria's advice and start at the very beginning. It's a very good place to start.

Remember, shortly after Moses' time, that's pretty much all the faithful had to work with.

It's Too Hard to Understand


To that objection, I simply say, "No. No, it's not."

God didn't make it too hard for anyone, who'll take the time to read it, to comprehend.

That's just a lame excuse. Don't be lame.

I'll Read My Devotional Book Instead


There's nothing wrong with supplementary devotional material, but you must realize such things are supplements.

You don't eat only vitamins and supplements from a bottle with a child-proof cap at meal time. You eat real food.

The Bible is the real food. Chow down.

Reading the Bible Just Isn't My Style


Then make it your style, Christian.

I know I'm starting to sound heavy-handed, but if this is your reason for not reading the Bible, you need a heavy hand placed upon you. Now.

Pick up (or look up) a Bible and start reading it today. If you don't want to start at Genesis, fine. Pick Matthew or John or Psalms or Revelation (if you want a not-incomprehensible challenge).

This really is the simplest alternative to going to church. Maybe it's even one of the reasons God let the virus get started in the first place. If you've...ahem...read the Bible, you know he likes to use natural events to get his point across now and then.

Floods. Droughts. Storms. Volcanoes. Earthquakes. Insects. Frogs. Diseases.

Hm, diseases.

So, I promised to tell you who the soul-trying writer was: Thomas Paine.

Did you get it right?

No comments:

Post a Comment