8/15/21

For the Love of the Game

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to use that title. Probably not even the first to use it in connection with Jordan Love. But that's as inspired and original as I can get right now, so you'll just have to deal with it.

On August 14, 2021, my sister and I attended the first Packers preseason game of the year. It was fun, not because the Packers played astonishingly well (they didn't), but because it's always fun to be in Lambeau Field.

Lambeau Field from the south

I've been inside Lambeau a (very) few times before but not since the latest upgrades. To be honest, I don't remember very well what it looked like before they were installed, so I can't really comment on the changes.

On our way around the stadium, we passed this monument. I don't know if it has a proper name. It reminds me of the Hall of Fame. I suppose it's supposed to.

Marine Monument

We went in through the Pro Shop because I wanted to get a Packers polo shirt. I did, but more on that later.

Once inside the stadium proper, you can see a number of important features besides the field itself. There's this list of important years. I've been around for all of them. Granted, I don't really remember the first three as I was about 6 to 8 years old back then.


Around the Ring of Fame, there are these three significant players' names (among many others). I do recall seeing all of them play.


Our seats were about 20 rows directly above the tunnel that the Packers use to enter and leave the field.


This is Jordan Love entering after half time.


It was interesting to watch the punters (Scott and Winslow) and the kicker (Crosby) warmup before the game.



You don't always realize what awkward positions kickers get themselves into in the process of doing their jobs.

There was a lot of punting during the game, unfortunately. Here are some shots of the same. First, Mr. Scott.





The next series of 6 shots are all from the same punt by Mr. Winslow.







Now for something completely different. Here's the skycam - just cuz it was there and I noticed it. No idea what it was taking pictures of at the time.


Now back to the action. Next up is a catch by the Texans. I only include it because it turned out to be one of my better shots. (There are even cooler ones later though.)


I could tell the fans really wanted Love to do well. I think their thought process is something like this: We may not have Rodgers next year, so you should perform well now, Love, so we can like you next year too.

Here is some of Mr. Love's work.







Here are the starts of some kick returns by Amari Rodgers and Hill.



And now (again) for something completely different. It feels like I often look at a clock when the time shows 12:34. Apparently this holds true even in Lambeau. (The clock was stopped at this point.)


More action, including (IMHO) a great shot of the Hill TD.

Texans throwing into double coverage

Ento going up for the ball

Later, I discovered the Ento Fan Club.


Clean handoff to Hill

Interception

Love taking the hike from center

Nice catch

And here it is - the Hill touchdown.

Hill goes in for the TD

I just might tweet this and tag him.

Now, as you know, there's always "that guy" at the game. This day there were at least three of them.



No, not 33, number 30, Lindsay, in the distance

Now, about that polo shirt. I bought it before the game but didn't want to try to take the tag off so I could wear it during the game. (I was already wearing a green, non-Packers shirt, so I did blend in well with the sea of green.) It is a very nice Packers' green shirt with a small logo where the pocket would usually be. And yes, it was exorbitantly-priced, but since it's likely to be the only one I ever buy, it's worth it.

You'll have to visit me in person if you want to see how well it fits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment