12/26/17

New Year Resolutions Are Stupid, So I'm Taking a Challenge Instead

I've never been one to make New Year resolutions. I really can't remember ever setting any up for myself. I guess that means I've always thought they were stupid.

We all know that those who do make a New Year resolution are just setting themselves up for failure. We even joke about it. Instead of asking what someone's resolution is or how they're doing at keeping it, we're more likely to ask when they broke it.

So for 2018 (and any future year you care to insert here), why not take a challenge instead of making a resolution?

Sure, you still might fail to meet the challenge, but you have all year to work at it. It's not like breaking a promise (aka resolution) on January 3 and then having nothing left to work with for 12 months.

Here are the kind of challenges I'm thinking of. These are two that I'm taking on myself for 2018.

Challenge #1: Read 50 books this year.

I already read books daily. I'm usually tackling more than one at a time. It's something like a kids' series book, a scifi book, and a non-fiction book - plus the Bible.

I haven't kept track of how many books I read in a given period of time, so I really don't know how doable 50 per year is for me. We'll see. That's part of the challenge.

Challenge #2: Take at least 1 good macro photograph per day.

I recently bought a used macro camera lens for a really good price on eBay. For those not sure what macros are in photography, it's take a picture of something really, really close up. A true macro lens (like the one I got) lets you take pictures at a 1-to-1 ratio. This means you can snap shots of really tiny things (bugs, plant parts, itty bitty inanimate objects, etc.) and blow them up really big in a print, if you want.

I'm obviously just starting to work at this, so getting a picture that could be classified as "good" every day will really be a challenge. That's a good thing then.

Challenge #3: _____

Yes, I said I was doing two challenges earlier, but that feels kinda lame. Three seems like a more complete number.

So I'm asking you now for another idea.

What else would make a good challenge for me for 2018?

I'm not saying I'll take up every challenge you throw at me, but if there's more than one that sounds reasonable, I'll add more than a third one to my list.

To suggest a challenge for me, please make a comment below this post, as opposed to commenting on Facebook or in an email or in a direct chat message, etc.

Also, make it before Saturday, 12/30/17, so I have time to consider it.

I'll let you know whether or not I'll take up your challenge(s) by replying to your comments here. I'll also comment in reply if  need clarification before making a final decision.

Maybe later we can discuss what challenge(s) you take on yourself for 2018 too.

1 comment:

Gary said...

I got one suggestion in person...Take your wife on 12 adventures.

Sounds good to me. I'm still open to more though. If they are different enough from each other, I should be able to do more than 3 challenges.

Post a Comment